On 2/26/06, Ben Bargabus <ben_b at ppdonline.com> wrote:
> Hello,
> I'm trying to install linux (namely debian sarge) on a system with the
> following config:
>
> Intel D945PSN board
> Pentium D 820 processor (Core Duo 2.8GHz)
> 500GB Seagate Baracuda (SATAII)
> Plextor PX-716-SA DVD RW (SATA)
>
> I've been having nothing but trouble.  First of all I screwed up and
> tried to install the i386 build of Debian Sarge (yeah, I know, 15 years
> of working with the i386 architecture has formed some habits for me).
> After realizing my mistake I tried to install the amd64 build (again of
> Sarge) but it wouldn't mount my DVD drive during the install so I
> couldn't get anywhere.  A little searching on the net and it seems that
> installing from a SATA optical drive just isn't ready for prime time
> yet.  OK, so I hook up an old IDE CDROM, that gets me past the mounting
> of the drive problem but now it won't recognize the NIC (on board 10/100
> - 82652gx chipset).  !@#!$!!  So I slap an older NIC into the thing
> (Intel 82578B chipset, eepro100 driver) that gets me through to the next
> step.  Now it can't find the harddrive. M!$!#$!@ F$#%!$#!!!  I could
> through an IDE harddrive in there and get past that error but at some
> point I might as well just build another computer as I've been slowly
> replacing every component in this thing to get the damn install to run.
> Anyway, I'm hoping someone on the list can help me.  Any ideas?  Is
> there a different distro that might be friendlier to my setup (I'm
> downloading FC4 as I write this in hopes that maybe it will install).
> Is there an installfest coming up soon?  If not does someone want to
> host one? ;-)
> Thanks in advance,
> Ben.

I'd give Ubuntu (or Kubuntu if you're into that KDE thing) a shot.
You can at least boot a Live CD and see if it supports your hardware
before going through the whole installation process.  I've installed
it on an SATA hard drive but never from a SATA CD/DVD drive.  If
you're a Debian fan you'll feel right at home with the installer,
package management, etc.

It seems to have been more hardware friendly out of the box than
Debian Sarge on my systems.

--
Donovan Niesen