Quoting Olwe Bottorff <galanolwe at yahoo.com>:

> I was reading some BSD code (reverse.c) and came
> across this:
> bytes(fp, off);
>
> The man on bytes() defaults to Perl which says
> something about "changing character semantics to byte
> semantics". I'm guessing this is a BSD function
> somewhere (um-manned) that does this sort of thing.
> Now why would they want to do that? What is meant by
> character v. byte semantics, and why would I be
> interested in changing them?

look in extern.h for a prototype, read.c should have the
definition.

BTW I've noticed that you have been posting a lot of C questions.
This is just a suggestion, but if you are interested in learning C
I'd highly recommend the following steps.

1. Buy "The C Programming Language" by Kernighan & Ritchie 2nd edition
   http://cm.bell-labs.com/cm/cs/cbook/
2. Read "The C Programming Language"
3. Do **ALL** the exercises in "The C Programming Language"
4. Compare your answers to others, suggested sites:
   http://users.powernet.co.uk/eton/kandr2/
   http://www.kamilche.com/c/
5. Read comp.lang.c FAQ
   http://c-faq.com/

If you do all that, you will be well on your way to understanding C.

--
Lee