I imagine there are quite a few people trying to do such a thing. You need to
find some way to differentiate yourself from the others. This guy
figured out a
way to differentiate himself and I'm pretty sure he is to occupied with other
matters these days to worry about support type work.

http://www.asterisk.org
http://www.digium.com

I beleive he also wrote Gaim, not sure if he's still involved with that.

Josh