Use a shell variable.
In bash: export vhome=/usr/users/User37/olwe

----- Original message -----
From: "Olwe Bottorff" <galanolwe at yahoo.com>
To: "Twin Cities LUG" <tclug-list at mn-linux.org>
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 16:09:10 -0800 (PST)
Subject: [tclug-list] alias expansion

I'm on a linux box at work that has an NIS/nfs file
system location for my default HOME
(/usr/users/User37/olwe), but the actual machine has a
/home/olwe that's mine, too. I store big stuff on the
local drive and go light on the virtual HOME. What I
want to do is have an alias in my bash that expands
out to that virtual address whenever I type it in.
Just

alias vhome="/usr/users/User37/olwe"

doesn't auto expand at the command promt. I need a way
to get it expanded or somehow preprocessed. Anyone
seen this issue before?

Olwe