Mike Miller wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Feb 2006, Scot Jenkins wrote:
>
>> I write all my shell scripts in /bin/sh since that makes them the most
>> portable.  It's the one shell that's guaranteed to exist on all *NIX
>> systems.
>
> That's a good point.  Is it *always* in that exact directory?  It
> certainly is on Solaris, AIX and Linux.  Having the path right definitely
> makes it easier when dealing with inexperienced users.

Yep, as required by IEEE Std 1003.1 ("POSIX.1" -- the Portable Operating
System Interface).

For other shells/languages, the recommended usage is

     #!/usr/bin/env bash

The "env" command runs a command with a [possibly] modified environment.
  The above usage does not modify the environment; it merely takes
advantage of a "value-added" feature: env finds the command in the PATH.

Eric