Section "Device"
	Identifier	"NVIDIA Corporation NV18 [GeForce4 MX 440 AGP 8x]"
	Driver		"nv"
	BusID		"PCI:1:0:0"
EndSection

This is going to sound kludgey, but try removing and reinstalling the nvidia
driver.  But even without it, your modes look fine, which puzzles me.

As an aside, "apt-get dist-upgrade" is, from all I've heard, a generally
unreliable way to do business.  When Dapper releases in April, I'd
reccommend a backup of /home and a fresh install.