I highly suggest you do not use phpbb. Use YaBB (www.yabbforum.com)
instead. phpBB has at least 1 security vauln a month, usually more. It
constantly is the target of large attacks.

YaBB is an awesome forum that has the features of vBB, but is free, like
phpBB. The biggest difference is that it requires NO database. All the
data is stored in flat text (sql support to come soon).

Take a look at yabb or other alternatives. But I recommend you stay away
from phpBB.