On Sat, 11 Feb 2006, Jeff Hemminger wrote:

> Most of the default distro installs come with ssh at least.
> So maybe you can try "ssh -l <your login> -h <host>" instead of using putty?

He definitely should do that.  PuTTY is a Windows program that was written
because ordinary (non-Cygwin) Windows users didn't have an ssh program
built into their system.  Linux has no need for PuTTY.

In Linux/UNIX, I like to use rxvt windows to display my ssh session:

rxvt -n Compy -T "ssh: `whoami`@`hostname`: connected to Compy" -e ssh MyCompyUsername at compy.some.net &

This also works with xterm if you replace the "rxvt" with "xterm".

I like to make aliases that do this for various computers that I connect
to often.  You have to have X11 installed for this to work.

Mike