According to Microsoft's website "Windows Defender is a free program that
helps protect your computer against pop-ups, slow performance, and security
threats caused by spyware and other unwanted software." [
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/default.mspx]

Avast or AVG Antivirus protect against Viruses. You need BOTH. I have found
spysweeper to be a pretty decent program for spyware removal if you'd like
something additional to the Windows Defender.

This is also where I recommend using Firefox for the Internet instead of
Internet Explorer.

Jason