> Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2006 10:15:05 -0600
> From: Randy Clarksean <rclark at lakesplus.com>

> So ... here goes.  I am looking for a "stable" "free" Linux
> distribution.  Yes ... yes ... that is relatively vague, but let me
> clarify a bit as I do have some requirements.
>
> I use Linux for just about all of my work - word processing, number
> crunching, email, etc.  I currently have a FC5 distribution on the
> system and it is just NOT stable enough (yes I realize it is a
> development platform and knew that going in).  I have had to shutdown
> and reboot several times in the last few weeks - that is just
> unacceptable for what I need and do.
>
> So ... I am looking for a release that is stable, has good drivers, and
> has plans to be around for awhile - or has been around for awhile ... i
> do not have time to install several distros and see which one I like
> either.

Personally, I'm using Fedora on three laptops and a server and have never
experienced stability issues. I also maintain my company's server that
runs RHEL, and another Fedora development box. I'm really surprised at
your experience.

Since you know Fedora, and it and Red Hat are going to be around a long
time, you might look at RHEL, or its clones CentOS or White Box.
If by "free" you mean GPL, RHEL may be just the ticket. If you mean no
cost, CentOS is a good bet.

Ubuntu has not been as timely with security updates as Red Hat or Fedora.

Chris