On Tue, 26 Dec 2006, Randy Clarksean wrote:
> So ... I am looking for a release that is stable, has good drivers, and
> has plans to be around for awhile - or has been around for awhile ... i
> do not have time to install several distros and see which one I like
> either.

I'd highly recommend either Debian Etch (pre-release, or wait until it
comes out), or Ubuntu. Either distro ships with recent kernels (so good
hardware support), and will be around for awhile, with easy updates to any
new versions. Etch will also have reasonably long-term support for the
current distro.

> 4 250 GB SATA drives (need good drivers for these)
> 	- want to have them in a RAID configuration

What level? Raid 5, RAID 0+1?

> 	- currently using software raid - not happy with it

In what way?

> 	- probably will go to PCI slot card for RAID

I'd highly recommend 3ware's 9500SX line, and Adaptec's 2?20SA line.
(where X is 4 or 8, depending on port count.) Areca's cards are also
supposed to be great, but I have no experience with them.. support for
these is included in the 2.6.19 kernel, which unfortunately isn't in Etch
yet.

> USB and SATA issues SEEM to be my main issues - based on what I can see
> in my log files or in terminal windows.

I haven't had any problems with either of these devices on recent kernels.