On Wed, 20 Dec 2006 at 22.03.09 -0600, Kevin Lombardo wrote:
> 1. Is there a way to tell which device drivers have been compiled in
> to a pre-built kernel?

not that i know of, in general.  you can check a few not terribly
interesting things by reading /proc/devices and /proc/filesystems.

> 2. I see a file called /etc/modules, and there are 4 entries in it:
>
> ide-cd
> ide-disk
> ide-generic
> psmouse
>
> Are these simply modular drivers? And are they in this file because
> the kernel *always* loads them, rather than relying on any kind of
> autodetect?

i believe they'll be loaded unconditionally at boot if the modules exist.
it's used for stuff that can't be probed like certain scsi cards.

> 3. How does the kernel know which other drivers to load? Is it just
> autodetect or is there a configuration file?

the kernel passes device info to folks like hotplug and udev.

> 4. If I have a modular driver for an ide disk, and then try booting a
> kernel with an ide driver compiled with it, which driver will be used,
> the compiled in or the modular?

the compiled in one will be used.  of course, if your ide driver is
a module and your root filesystem is on an ide disk, neither will be
used.....

--
Sidney CAMMERESI
http://www.cheesecake.org/sac/