Hello-

I have a few quick questions about device drivers. I am using Debian Etch:

1. Is there a way to tell which device drivers have been compiled in
to a pre-built kernel?

2. I see a file called /etc/modules, and there are 4 entries in it:

ide-cd
ide-disk
ide-generic
psmouse

Are these simply modular drivers? And are they in this file because
the kernel *always* loads them, rather than relying on any kind of
autodetect?

3. How does the kernel know which other drivers to load? Is it just
autodetect or is there a configuration file?

4. If I have a modular driver for an ide disk, and then try booting a
kernel with an ide driver compiled with it, which driver will be used,
the compiled in or the modular?

Thanks!

Kevin