If you're interested in seeing in detail what's happening with your kernel,
ClamWin/WinPooch (I haven't run this, but it looks like a very fun techie
toy/solution).
If you're careful, want automated Outlook integration, and known when to
scan a suspicious file, ClamWin seems fine.
Sorry to put this one last, but my favorite (before I found ClamWin) is
AVG Free, available at http://tinyurl.com/kco2f.  They also have an anti-
spyware component that I'm not familiar with.

Best,
Josh