Mine was working with Ubuntu 6.06 - but then I upgraded.  Whoops.

The newer version of the X server broke something between the binary
drivers and the X server - I no longer can get 3D support, and the mouse
turns into a 50 pixel box of distortion whenever I put it on the second
monitor.

The latest version of the binary driver is supposed to fix it - but
guess what - ATI discontinued support for my particular video card in
the newer version.

Tried going back to the opensource drivers, and they don't work right
with dual monitors.

Its all quite annoying.

I have an old machine at work with a cheap nvidia card in it, and it
took all of 5 minutes to get the full 3d desktop experience up and
running on the latest ubuntu.

I'll be buying nvidia graphics cards from now on :)

Dan

--
Daniel Armbrust