So I'm building a new machine, and I put ubuntu on it because, what the
heck.

I was planning on just using the stock kernel (it has 2.6.17) but I need
too many custom-patched modules, because I had to go gamble and get an
ATI-based motherboard. So I'm trying to install 2.6.19 on it.

Kernel boots and it hangs right after "Freeing unused kernel memory:"

I did some googling and the closest thing I can come up with is that the
kernel arch is not compatible with libc.

This is an x86_64 machine, so I built the kernel for x84_64. I've tried
"generic x86_64" and the AMD-specific one (it's an AMD CPU). Still hangs
at this point.

Now, I've got the machine booted into it's default kernel. Anyone have any
idea how I can figure out what the heck arch libc wants me to use? Or have
any other ideas?

-Yaron