On Wed, Aug 30, 2006 at 05:04:17PM -0500, Mike Miller wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Aug 2006, John J. Trammell wrote:
[snip]
>> Utter nonsense.  In today's legal climate, regardless of your opinion
>> of the matter, it is a prosecutable offense, and it is irresponsible
>> of you to say otherwise.

Looks like I am going to have to eat those words, to some degree.  :-)
In Mike's original post, as I read it now, he was both (a) clarifying
that copyright infringement != stealing and (b) advocating against said
infringement.  I have no disagreement with those statements, so I think
we agree for the most part.  I don't know why I got some other
impression on my first reading.

I still hold the opinion that copyright infringement is a really dumb
thing to do.  And the fact remains that in the USA, it is currently
illegal.

> It might be hard for you to accept this, but a law that equates
> copying a file with stealing a purse is a very bad law.

Not so hard for me to accept.  One problem that I keep seeing is that
the metaphors are inadequate--a photo of a purse doesn't let you *do*
anything; it's a passive object.  But an unauthorized copy of Windows XP
turns a chunk of metal and plastic into a subsentient entity.

--
trammell at el-swifto.com  9EC7 BC6D E688 A184 9F58  FD4C 2C12 CC14 8ABA 36F5
Twin Cities Linux Users Group (TCLUG)      Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota