On the other side of the coin ...

/soapbox on

I'm a software developer.  I used to have a vertical app that I was
trying to sell.  It was a small marketplace and people copying my
package would have made it very hard on me.  I spent considerable time
and effort combating people's efforts to use my package without paying
for it.

Another developer I know went out of business because every time he sold
one copy, ten other people in the area would suddenly have his program.
And this was for churches!

Copying commercial software is stealing!  Just because it can be easily
copied, doesn't give everybody (or anybody) the right to do so.

While you may not think it is "taking anything away" from them, it is
depriving them of the income they should get for your usage of their
product.

If you want free software, stay with the FOSS packages.  If you want to
use commercial software, pay for it.

That said, have I ever used a commercial package without purchasing it?
Yes, I have.  But I try to restrict it to trying software to see if it
will do what I want or using it for a small one time need that doesn't
justify purchasing an expensive package.  (But that still doesn't make
it right.)

/soapbox off

Larry R. Pint