I need to do some testing around this, but I thought I'd throw it out in
case someone has already cracked this nut:

My dang rodent's button 1 is understood by my GUI apps to be clicking
twice for every one I do with my finger.  (I've tried a different
finger, yes)  But not every time.  hmm.

-Logitech USB wheelie optical mouse
-Enlightenment and fluxbox on debian 2.6.12-1-multimedia-386 #1 Mon Apr
11 11:40:21 CEST 2005 i68
-Sure, you'd like to know what usbview says and hotplug and..

I think I'll try booting Knoppix with same hardware.  Then try the mouse
on a stolen OS with different HW.

Apropos to my last post-- gimme, gimme.
And, of course, enormous thanks.
B-)