I started out with Mandrake 7 or 8 onto a later version of Mandrake. I went from that to the current Gentoo installation on my computer I am using to type this. It is probably 5 years old and up to date as can be. I've upgraded bits and pieces of my computer over the years but always the same OS installation. You really learn the ins and outs when installing Gentoo because you have to type all of the commands instead of just point and click. Gentoo will really help you get your feet wet if you follow the online installation documentation.
This kind of makes me think about how windows does it vs how linux used to be in that windows is mostly point and click and linux was always vi this or vi that and modprobe this and make that. Now linux is moving to point and click. This is probably a good thing in general but it does take away from the hands on experience you get from actually doing the things manually. For sys admining I'd say learning how to operate and navigate thru command line is important since it is usually very similar across most distros (and even into Unix and BSD) but the front end point and click apps are rarely even close to being similar. This is not a problem in windows because hey, there is only one "windows"... at least until MS releases the next version and completely changes half of the interface. N E WAYS... ramble ramble ........

Another important non distro/linux related skill set that I think is important in linux sys adminning is learning some shell scripting and/or a language like perl, python, ruby, etc. Have a file that needs some formatting or modifcations or something? Just whip up a quick script or even some one liners.

In any case I think Gentoo's package management system is the coolest one out there (must install esearch - its in portage) which is based on the BSD's ports. I really like Gentoo because it is very clean and has a very nicely laid out directory structure (like BSDs in general). FYI I use OpenBSD for most of my own equipment but it does not play NWN, UT2004, etc very well so instead to play games and what not I use

     .vir.                                d$b