On Tue, Aug 15, 2006 at 07:37:55AM -0500, jason reynolds wrote:
> I am also working on increasing my "Administrative" quality Linux skills so
> I can get some more Linux boxes on our network. I don't work for VMWare
> although this will probably sound like a sales pitch. *sigh*
>
> VMWare is a great tool for setting up test networks that will not mess with
> your current setup. I have a machine with 2GB of RAM (1GB will still let you
> setup a few virtual machines) where I setup my test machines. If you've
> never used VMWare you can download a trial that will work for 30-45 days to
> see if you like it.

VMWare server is now free - both both Windows and Linux.  You could take
your Windows machine and create a Linux guest or build a Linux server
and add a Windows guest.

My work Windows desktop runs the free server with a Linux guest in it.

        .../Ed

> I also agree with those that say to use Linux as your main operating system.
> Try out a few Distros and have some fun. Distros are like fruit, they are
> all tasty in some way and you'll find your favorite.

If you plan on finding a job that requires Linux, your best bet is to
focus on Red Hat Enterprise Linux (or a free distro like CentOS that's
based on the RHEL sources).  It may not have the latest and greatest
features, and it's more server-focused than desktop-focused, but it gets
the job done and is used by more enterprises than any other distro.

My personal approach to learning Linux was two-fold.  First, I made
Linux my primary desktop.  Secondly, I subscribed to the relevant Linux
mailing lists.  Then, when questions came through that I didn't know the
answer to, I looked them up, tested them, and responded.  Over time, I
learned more and more and over 2 years ago aced the RHCE exam.  Not only
do you learn Linux this way, you're helping other newcomers along the
way.  I've done this with multiple platforms and it's helped a LOT.
Before writing the RHCE exam, I also went through every page of the
online RHEL documentation and made sure I knew the subject.  It took a
few months, but it paid off in the end.

        .../Ed

--
Ed Wilts, RHCE