When I found I was having trouble getting into Linux, I bought this
book at Barnes and Noble: O'Reilly Running Linux.  It is a very thick
book, but it is very helpful.  It gives you an idea of everything
linux does, and quick overviews of how to do it all.  It also explains
what it is you are doing.  It does not tie you to any specific
distribution.  You do not have to read it front to back (though you
learn the most if you do).  With this book, I have been able to not
ask others for help nearly as much.

http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/runux4/

- Joey