On Sun, 2006-08-06 at 11:14 -0500, Eugene Samuel wrote:
> tclug-list at mn-linux.org

That is quite odd. I usually get this after I start installing stuff
like VMware or a VPNclient. It very well could be the DHCP client is not
running or crashing. Check the event log, or clear it and reboot to see
a full listing of what is possibly failing. Also, did you check to see
if first the NIC is recognised, and functioning under Computer
Management>Devices? I get this alot with Windows 2003 Server installing
on older Compaq servers,for some reason it will fail to install 3COM or
Intel NIC drivers that work otherwise just fine. Sometimes during the
device detection of setup the drivers are not poperly installed and
configured.

If you go into the Network Connections, do you see "Local Area
Connection"?

When you open that up and open properties do you see TCP/IP listed?

When you open TCP/IP properties is DHCP enabled or is it static?

Another thing is to open up the command line and type "ipconfig", see
what you are pulling up. If it is 0.0.0.0. then DHCP client is disabled.
Otherwise if the IP address begins with 169.xxx.xxx.xx then there is a
connection problem. This can be resovled possibly by just doing
"ipconfig/renew"

You might also want to check under the Administration Tools for
"Services" (Also in Computer Management). Make sure DHCP and DNS client
are running.

Also have you tried putting in a static IP and seeing if a connection
will work to the router?