I forgot to say before. This sounds like a fun project and I hope it
goes as well as you'd like. Congrats on your new house, as well. I
probably come off as a zealot or whatever, but I hope my input can help
you, whether or not you use it. I've addressed some additional items
below as well. Just my $0.75.

>        1. Will you be using an audio receiver / amplifier?
>

> Yes.

Do you have a receiver that supports separate rooms already, or do you
plan on buying 6 separate receivers, one of which supports digital
surround? One of the messages in the list did mention receivers with
multi-room support. They DO exist, but they are usually the higher end
models. Almost all receivers have a speaker selection option to select
multiple speaker sets, but you usually can't pipe separate inputs to the
different sets.

>              1. If yes, are you going to try to support digital
>                 surround sound?
>

> Only in one room, the actual home theater room.
Will you be using a DVD player in this room? I think I saw you wanted
the receivers in the server room. That would mean that you would either
have to run optical or high-grade coax (digital audio coax...RCA plugs
on the ends) from the dvd player back to the receiver in the other room
(expensive again...) or have the dvd player in the other room.

>     Running analog wires, in my opinion, would be a last resort. The
>     degradation of video and audio quality would probably be
>     significant enough that it would almost outweigh the benefit of
>     doing this at all. Especially as you increase the number of rooms.
>

> I'm not an A/V wiring expert, but how does the cable company maintain
> quality with co-ax cable? I was just going to do the same thing,
> assuming it is possible.
The cable company maintains good quality by requiring a "thin client" as
well...a cable box. For digital you either rent or purchase the box, and
for analog, the decoding hardware has been built into televisions for
many years now. Doing the same thing as the cable company would require
expensive equipment to create the same type of signal used by the cable
company.

Just running video over coax (probably using an RF modulator or
something?) is likely going to make your picture look very grainy an
anything larger than a 20" television (but still noticeable even on that
small of a size). Basically it will look like you are watching a
reasonably clean picture off of a rabbit-ears antenna. If you've ever
owned a video game console, you might know what I'm talking about. The
clarity of a the signal coming off of an RF modulator (converts the
video to coax inputs) is quite poor compared to even standard composite.
Unless you ARE talking about composite cable (the yellow one) which is
definitely acceptable.

>     REALISTICALLY... using some sort of thin client that you can hide
>     somewhere is BY FAR the most flexible way to go. Your "wall jacks"
>     to "simply plug in" to would be much better suited as networking
>     ports or even wireless, with some sort of device in between to
>     convert the stream back to something you can use on a TV or
>     stereo. A computer can be such a flexible device that you don't
>     have to have an entire desktop case to dedicate to such a specific
>     task.
>

> The server sitting in a dedicated server closet is supposed to be the
> flexible device. All output would go from it, to various rooms.
It all depends on how you look at it. In my opinion, converting the
digital data to analog so early is more of a headache. That is why
digital cable and satellite are so big these days, because it is much
easier to distribute a digital signal than analog. So Having the server
distribute (or provide access to) digital media directly allows you to
keep it digital as long as possible. You