I just purchased a Dell Inspiron E1505 with a beautiful screen, 1G
RAM, 60GB HDD, Bluetooth, WiFi, etc. for < $900 shipped. It's a little
heavy, but seems to be made well.

I installed Kubuntu 6.06 on it and it worked like a charm with very
little fuss.  The only thing that required some extra work was I had
to run the 915resolution program to get 1400x1050. Otherwise
everything is working out of the box.

It's nice to have the widescreen ratio for coding and sysadmin work.

-Eric