TI has a device on a USB stick: http://www.ti.com/ez430
Unfortunately appears the IDE only runs in Windows.
Linux related using Atmel AVR:
http://www.tldp.org/linuxfocus/English/November2004/article352.shtml
Atmel also has Butterfly and others but programmability may be limited.

Also watch for seminars put on locally by the manufacturer, for example
Microchip on May 18 at Minneapolis Marriott SW in Minnetonka.
https://secure.microchip.com/corpseminars/details.aspx
Freescale, Renesas, TI, Atmel, etc. often put on a seminar in Twin
Cities about once a year either free or for nominal cost.  Often some
books or hardware is given away at these.

Bob