Some resources:
Demo kits from manufacturers: search for PIC kit|demo|programming board,
search manufacturers site, search ebay for PIC kits or PIC programmers.
You can find low price demo boards that are for programming/introduction
complete with compilers/tools on cdrom. $25 to $50.

http://www.microchipdirect.com/ProductSearch.aspx?Keywords=DV164101

AVR chips are nice as well, there is a GCC port for these.

http://www.atmel.com/dyn/products/tools.asp?family_id=607#808

Go to the library for electronics books and get a breadboard,
see if you can make a LED light up.

Today it is very easy/inexpensive to get into microcontroller programming
with the flash parts.  You can program these with a few wires coming off the
LPT port, but you will be better off buying a programming kit for starters.

Karl.