I like Rosegarden.  I've been using it for a couple of years on SuSE 9.1
first, now debian (agnula.org!)  It is deep and could take a while to
learn.  The MIDI side is not too hard.  The PSR-295 has a USB interface,
so it ought to be pretty (very) easy to configure with RG.  They have a
very active mailing list too.  Not having heard the 295's built in
sounds, I probably shouldn't criticize their craptitude, but RG offers
the ability to use soft-synths and effects and then output to .wav's.
The other major FOSS alternative with a gui is MusE.