I'm not a keyboard player, but I am a musician, and a keyboard player friend
of mine is in the process of setting up Linux to do what you are talking
about.

If I understand this correctly, you are talking about a program that takes
MIDI input from a keyboard, and can both record it, and can turn it into
sheet music.

If that's correct, I think your friend should check into Rosegarden -

http://www.rosegardenmusic.com/

And I quote - "Rosegarden is a professional *audio and MIDI sequencer*, *score
editor*, and general-purpose *music composition and editing environment*.
Rosegarden is an easy-to-learn, attractive application that runs on Linux,
ideal for composers, musicians, music students, and small studio or home
recording environments."
It is designed to work with a program named Lilypond (
http://lilypond.org/web/), which is music notation software. The output from
Rosegarden can be sent to Lilypond.

These are both open source, and most of the major distros have a version of
it in their repositories. (The Rosegarden site mentions Debian, Mandriva,
Ubuntu, PCLinux, and RedHat).

Cheers,

Charlie Obert