On Wed, 2006-04-19 at 10:21 -0500, G. Scott Walters wrote:
> You may try adding HTTP_PROXY as an environmental variable. I've had
> to do this for our proxy for updated to a RHE box, but I only had to
> point to the proxy, not enter authentication information, so I don't
> know if this will work for you or not.

It didn't work:(

I tried both
 HTTP_PROXY=http://proxy.example.com:8080
 HTTP_PROXY_AUTH=basic:*:<user>:<pwd>

I failed to mention the first error I posted was from wget.

Yum update spews out:

http://mirror.centos.org/centos/4/updates/i386/repodata/repomd.xml: [Errno 4] IOError: HTTP Error 400: Bad Request
Trying other mirror.
Cannot open/read repomd.xml file for repository: update
failure: repodata/repomd.xml from update: [Errno 256] No more mirrors to try.
Error: failure: repodata/repomd.xml from update: [Errno 256] No more mirrors to try.

There are a lot of posts on the net about it, but I have not found a fix that pertains to my setup.