On Sat, 15 Apr 2006 at 07.05.22 -0500, Randy Clarksean wrote:
> I have 4 - 250 GB Maxtor SATA drives hooked up in the system.  I would
> either like Raid 0+1 or Raid 5 ... basically for redundancy in the event
> one of the drives fails.

raid 5 is valid, but unless you have a specific performance requirement
that 0+1 meets, i'd probably choose raid 6 over 0+1.

> But ... I would like to be able have /boot and / all part of the raid
> system .. where all of the important stuff is at ... I have a feeling
> though that /boot might not be able to be part of the raid setup?

you cannot boot from raid5, but you can boot from raid1.  if you want
to boot from raid1, to be able to boot from the second disk if the first
fails, you will need to manually install a bootloader on the second disk;
SuSE's installer will not do this for you.

one thing i'll point out is that if you decide to go non-redundant for
your /boot filesystem, i would put it on a degraded raid1 array so that
if you ever change your mind and want to add another disk to make it
redundant, you can just plop it into the pre-existing degraded raid1.
(but the SuSE installer won't create degraded arrays, so you'll have to
go to the command line and do it manually.)

> So ... anyone out there been through this before and have some
> suggestions for me?  I guess it would be nice to have LVM set up and
> RAID ... but I keep trying to set it up ... but to no avail.  I have
> looked at the raid how-tos ... but most of those seem for after the fact
> and not for you while you are setting up and installing the OS for the
> first time.

what exactly is your problem?  i have done this in SuSE plenty of times.
just make the raid first, then go do the LVM configuration.

i think some of the SuSE versions (9.3 has no problem, but maybe earlier?
i don't remember for certain) may not have been totally co-operative
with adding an md device to an LV, but i think if you make the raid
then do a pvcreate on it then maybe a pvscan or reboot or something,
that SuSE will see it as a PV.

--
Sidney CAMMERESI
http://www.cheesecake.org/sac/