Have mailman and postfix running on a compaq dl380 - dual P3 at 800Mhz and
1.5 Gb ram HW RAID 1 array.  From what I've been told the line it's on is a
T1 shared between two subnets - one local to the office and one at remote
data center - the system is on the local subnet.

Mailman / Postfix set up with understanding of one "announcement only " list
with approx 400 members, one blast to members per day - been working great
for months, then client uploads/subscribes 50K new members/email address and
sends a nice juicy posting at noon.  Network is swamped, connectivity is
slow for users in the office, yadda yadda -

Some advanced notice would have been nice... but going forward I'd like to
make sure the system doesn't consume all available network bandwidth.  Been
researching Postfix and some mailman settings to tweak, and possibly adding
a DNS cache to the machine and then thought of using the OS to rate limit
the bandwidth available to port 25 - anyone have any hints/tips on whether
or not this is a good idea?  Would there be time out issues or something
with Postfix if the "pipe" is too slow etc?

thanks