> Then there's always Knoppix.  If you can boot Knoppix and get sound,
> there has to be a way to get it to work in other distributions!  (Which
> gives me an idea -- I could install the SoundBlaster in another computer
> and see what Knoppix does...)

I had been using Knoppix all along, but had been talked into Ubuntu, and
was hoping it would support the Cirrus logic cs4236 chip set. Later today
I received and answer to my post on the Knoppix site. Turns out it has
alsa built into it. I just had to run alsaconf, and tell it to probe for
isa sound cards. It found and configured my sound card, so I'm back on the
Knoppix band wagon again:)