On Friday 30 September 2005 18:29, Mike Miller wrote:
> In tcsh we have 'rehash' to update the hash table of command paths when
> we've added a new executable in the path.  What do you use for this in the
> bash shell?

There is no analog to tcsh's hash table in bash - the hash table that bash has
is only for speedup - when it doesn't find the executable in the hash table,
it will search through the path.

To empty the table (useful if you've changed PATH), use hash -r.

To force an entry in, use 'hash <command>' if it can be completed in the path,
otherwise use 'hash -p <filename> <command>'.

Dave Carlson