It would be resonably easy to set up a QoS with either cdq or htb if
you know what ports skype will use.  You can classify traffic by port
and set what amount of the total pipe they can use.  Unfortunaty, it
is my understanding this is hard to pin down.  (Most of what I have
seen is in the context of a net admin wanting to block skype, as you
presumably control all the skype installs you may be able to limit the
ports it uses).

We have a HTB based traffic shaping system on our linux based router
where I live, we previously used CBQ.  They both are great for
improving responsiveness of our network under load.  Look up linux
advanced routing and you will find some great howtos for setting these
up.