At 10:38 AM 9/14/2005 -0500, John T. Hoffoss wrote:

All,

I'm looking to convert a single VHS tape to DVD. I don't need a menu or
fancy case or menu or anything, just the video converted. It's probably
under 2 hours, and I don't want to spend over $15 or $20. Anything over
that and I'll just go buy a video capture device and do it myself.

If you can provide a reference for someone that will do this, I would
appreciate it.

-John
<<<<

If you go the capture device route, I strongly recommend the Canopus
ADVC-100.  It is an external hardware audio/video capture device that
converts composite or SVHS video to and from DV (over a Firewire/IEEE1394
interface).  It also has a Macrovision override option enabled by holding
down the input select button for about 20 seconds while turning the device
on.  From what I've read, the newer ADVC-110 does not have a Macrovision
override.  I definitely do not recommend the Dazzle (DVC) capture device.
There are many messages littering forums in regards to the instability,
poor reliability, and other issues with the Dazzle.

You could also get an internal capture card.  I like the ADVC-100 because
it never loses audio/video sync, is stable, and just works.  It can be
found on ebay for under $200.  You can also use the ADVC-100 in conjunction
with an external tuner (e.g. an old VCR with a broken tape mechanism) and a
GraphEdit filter graph to watch live video/TV (with audio) on your PC.  I
can share my GraphEdit filter graph with anyone interested.

If you go this route, remember that DV (25 mbps) is about 13 gb/hour, and
that you'll need to re-encode it to Mpeg-2 for DVD.

-hk