On Mon, 2005-09-12 at 11:01 -0500, Paul Fierro wrote:
> I use Linux on the server end but not much on the client end. What are the
> better Web browsers Linux users use?

I guess I'm weird in using Galeon [http://galeon.sf.net/], though I
think development has kind of stagnated on it.  Galeon started off as a
"lightweight" Gecko-based browser back before Firefox got going, and
added a number of features I like.  I like being able to type in
"www.whatever.com", press Ctrl+Enter and get it to pop up in a new tab
(in Firefox, this prepends "www." and appends ".com", which is often
pretty silly, since the browser normally appends ".com" if it can't
resolve an address anyway).  The tabbing behavior is more configurable,
though there are various Firefox extensions that make this easier these
days.

Galeon also has smart bookmarks built in, so you can have one or more
search field right in your toolbar (I have one for Google and one for
Wikipedia -- er, a Google search in site:en.wikipedia.org), or create a
bookmark elsewhere with "%s" somewhere in there and use a keyword to
search.  For instance, I have a keword bookmark named "news" that
searches Google News, plus others for Netflix and IMDB so I don't have
to browse to the site to use their search engine.  Type in "imdb back to
the future", and there you go..  (Firefox has a few keywords built in,
such as "map" and "news", but I haven't figured out where they're
configured -- I don't like their default behaviors).

But, Galeon isn't compatible with the pile of extensions Firefox has
now.  I really wish I could use AdBlock, for instance, so I might end up
switching over to Firefox fairly soon.

--
Mike Hicks <hick0088 at tc.umn.edu>