On 9/10/05, Richard Harding <rick at ricksweb.info> wrote:
> I've been working on a remote server (debian server Ubuntu client) via
> the gnome terminal and I'm noticing some odd behavior.
>
> I use .bash_history a ton and when working in remote sessions I seem to
> have a much less chance of having commands remembered. It's really bad
> when I have a remote ssh session perform some commands, then sit behind
> the box and try to get to some of the commands and they're not there.
> The reverse is also true. Is there any way to get multiple sessions and
> such to work better with .bash_history?

I don't have a direct answer, but can offer a few suggestions
nonetheless.  I do *all* of my administration of servers (remote and
otherwise) within a screen session.  Do you know of GNU screen?  If
not, it's worth your time getting to know it.  I use it, no joke, for
probably 7 out of the 8 hours I work each day.  Here are a few nice
features:

- split-screen terminals over ssh
- failsafe, so if your network connections goes down, your programs stay running
- ~/.screenrc file for configuration - when I start screen, I have my
.screenrc file set to ssh into the 10 or so different linux servers I
have at work.
- you can detach from a screen session, logout of ssh, login from
another location, and re-attach to the same session.

If you get into the habit of using screen all the time, your
.bash_history problem will be a non-issue, as you'll always be using
the same terminal anyway.

If you have any questions about screen, please send them my way.  I'd
be glad to help.

-Erik