On 9/9/05, Dan Rue <drue at therub.org> wrote:

> Couldn't you just do like ..
>
> #!/bin/sh
>
> while true;
> do /usr/bin/mplayer /mpegs/$1/*;
> done
>

> Then call it from cron in the morning with an argument of "morning",
> create /mpegs/morning/ for the morning mpegs..
>
> Even better build the time logic into the script..
>
> while (1){
>
>         if (morning) {
>                 /usr/bin/mplayer /mpegs/morning/*
>         }
>         if (afternoon) {
>                 /usr/bin/mplayer /mpegs/afternoon/*
>         }
>
> }
>

> Then if you need to add or remove mpegs, the "playlist" will be updated
> after it cycles through the directory.
>
> Dan

That may do what I need it to.  After posting this, I became intrigued
with VLC's http interface.  It's ridiculously flexible and
customizable.  I think if I couple that with the scheduling of cron, I
might have something pretty useful.

How can I change what's in a particular user's crontab from a script?
Or would I be better off manipulating the cron facility in a different
way?

--
Donovan Niesen
dniesen at gmail.com