Jeff Rasmussen wrote:

> Did you try removing the /dev/ttyS3 device and then re-adding it?  I
> also tend to use Debian's pon, poff, and pppconfig tool for modem
> connections, did you try using that with Ubuntu?

No to all the above, but I finally figured it out. The messages in the
boot log pointed to what needed to be done:

 >Oct 24 02:15:34 localhost kernel: PCI: Using ACPI for IRQ routing
 >Oct 24 02:15:34 localhost kernel: ** PCI interrupts are no longer
routed automatically.  If this
 >Oct 24 02:15:34 localhost kernel: ** causes a device to stop working,
it is probably because the
 >Oct 24 02:15:34 localhost kernel: ** driver failed to call
pci_enable_device(). As a temporary
"lspci" to bjorn.helgaas at hp.com
 >Oct 24 02:15:34 localhost kernel: ** so I can fix the driver.

Here are all the steps I needed to take to get the USR 5610 56K PCI
modem to work:

a) install setserial. When it installs, it creates a default
configuration of the serial devices.

b) create the file /etc/udev/rules.d/10-local.rules, and put these lines
in it:

    #modem
    KERNEL="ttyS14", SYMLINK="modem"

This causes /dev/modem to be created each time the system boots.

c) add pci=routeirq to the kernel boot option (in my case, in
/boot/grub/menu.lst).

d) reboot.

These steps worked with Ubuntu Hoary. I'm confident they'll work with
Ubuntu Breezy. Debian Sarge worked with just (a) and (b).

Thanks for your suggestions.

-Jeff

P.S. Yes, I'll email Bjorn so he can fix the serial driver.