I'm successfully running Debian stable (sarge) under VMware 4.5.  Host
system: WinXP SP2, 3.2Ghz CPU, 1G RAM.  I selected the IDE drive
option when creating the VMware disk image and allocated 384M RAM to
the virtual machine.  I'm using the latest stock 2.4.27-686 kernel for
Debian.

I've had a few segfaults and total lockups of the virtual machine, but
I think they are sound related.  I use xmms and mpg123 to play mp3's
on Debian.  It seems to work fine unless I want to skip to another
song or start/stop songs frequently.  Otherwise I'm happy with the
performance.  Browsing the web using Mozilla under Linux (running
under VMware) seems faster than IE on the native XP install.

I'm stuck with WinXP on my system at work and Linux under VMware is
better than no Linux at all.  Now I run Outlook and VMware natively
and everything else I do from within the virtual Linux system.  Life
is good again.  :)

You definitely want to install the vmware-tools after you've installed
your virutal OS.  It has a nice feature that lets you mount a
directory from your native OS under the virtual machine for file
sharing.

I originally tried bochs [1].  While bochs worked, the virtual machine
ran much slower than VMware.  The bochs binary for Window also has a
timing issue where the clock on the virutual machine runs incredibly
fast.  It's literally days ahead just minutes after booting.  This
made the system useless if you want to use make(1), cron, or any other
applications that depend on the system clock.  There is a compile
option that supposedly fixes this but I didn't have the time or
bandwidth to rebuild bochs under WinXP.  bochs is still pretty amazing
and definitely worth a look.

[1] http://bochs.sourceforge.net/

Scot