GNUCash is OK, is easy to use and has excellent reports, etc.  It has one
drawback, however.  Data is not stored in a database, it is recorded to an XML
text file.  That limits performance and usability.

I have used Quickbooks in Linux (Red Hat 8.0) with Crossover Office.
Everything worked fine except a couple of reports did not parse correctly.

There is a commercial program called Quasar that runs in Linux.  It has a
decent interface and runs on top of Firebird.  It supposedly has a retail focus.

I think the best alternative is SQL-Ledger.  It is a truly
platform-independent open-source project developed in the LAMP stack (with
PostgreSQL as the database instead of MySQL).  It uses any web browser as a
client.

It is relatively easy to install, and easy to use.  Open standards make it
easy to get data in and out of the database.  You can run it over a secure SSL
connection.  It will load on a wireless Palm LifeDrive with a web browser.

The developer is excellent with support.  I have gotten answers to questions
on a Saturday afternoon.  There are discussion groups, etc.  The software is
free to download, the manual and support costs $190.

John Kuster

--
Sihope Communications - The Twin Cities' FIRST all digital, all x2/56k ISP.
Tired of Spam - Try an ISP with a solution - http://marvin.sihope.com