I ran across UltraVNC when I was looking for a way to help people
without having to configure their router, install software on their
machine or determine their IP.  UltraVNC's SingleClick will do a
reverse VNC connection to a predetermined address (no-ip.com is your
friend here) so controlling an ailing computer is as simple as
starting up the listening VNC viewer on your own machine and then
having the person run an executable from their desktop or your
website.  Doesn't install any software, easy to set up, don't have to
walk someone through configuring port-forwarding over the phone, very
slick.