Samir M. Nassar wrote:
> On Monday 10 October 2005 11:48, Ryan wrote:
>

>>Why do we even have gcj?  Oh, that's right.  Sun is evil, I forgot.
>>Is any development done it it?  Any commercial software is going to
>>use Sun's or IBM's java anyway.  I just don't see point of wasting the
>>effort on this.  It's like trying to write an open source version of
>>Windows.  If I need Windows, I'll get the real thing not some
>>half-baked half-done implementation.  Same goes for Java.
>

> Yeah, we all love the sound enlightened thought makes in the morning.

While I understand it is fairly fashionable to rail against all things
commercial and/or proprietary in any Linux forum, what the heck is wrong
with wanting something that works with minimal futzing around?

Sun's proprietary JDK works and works well, or as well as Java works. It
was fairly trivial to install, and all other products which depend on
Java behaved as expected. I've tried fooling around with the GNU JDK,
much to my annoyance.

I like free software, as in speech and beer, but sometimes I care more
about something working well and in a fashion that I expect than I care
about the freedom of said software. Perhaps that is unenlightened, but
I've got shit to do and most of it needs to be done now rather than later.

That being said, I need to get back at it.

Josh