Florin Iucha wrote:
> The -X flags are private and specific to Sun/IBM/etc.. I would expect
> -jar to be supported though.

The Sun JVM documentation is here
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/tooldocs/solaris/java.html

The gcj documentation is here
http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcj/Invoking-gcj.html#Invoking-gcj

The original command line is here:
% java -Xmx256m -jar FileIndexer-1.1.5.jar

I haven't found how to perform basic heap tuning (-Xmx256m) with
gcj executables, but this shouldn't be necessary (only a performance
improvement).

One *ought* to simulate the workings of -jar by finding the
main class in the jar manifest:
% main=`unzip -c FileIndexer-1.1.5.jar META-INF/MANIFEST.MF | gawk '/^Main-Class:/ { print $2}'`

Then you should be able to run gcj like this
% gcj --main=$main

Then run the executable (if gcj compiles w/o errors) as:
% ./FileIndexer

But, of course, I would advocate the performance advantages of
dynamic compilation and point you to the Sun JVM ;-)

Regards,

--Tom

P.S. FWIW setting CLASSPATH is deprecated in favor of using -cp (with the Sun JVM)