On 10/2/05, Brian Wall <kc0iog at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9/29/05, Harv Nelson <harv.nelson at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Not just for kids!  I need one of these in the shack.  So do you
> >
> > http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050929/ap_on_hi_te/hundred_dollar_laptop
>
> The hand crank adds a nice touch.  In theory, infinite power for
> remote computing.  I'm skeptical of the price tag.  Even if produced
> by the millions, I don't see how you can find all the parts and still
> make a profit at $100 each.
>
> If this thing goes to market, I think every geek will want (and
> probably get!) one for Christmas.

It seems these are father out than Christmas this year (or perhaps
even next year). Also, the article states these are designed (or will
be designed) so that anyone using one is automatically assumed to be
in education. Think FisherPrice Laptop, and no, I don't mean one
running Windows XP...

So in a way, Harv Nelson's statement of "not just for kids" is off the
mark, or at least the intended mark of this project.