Mike Miller wrote:
> On Sun, 2 Oct 2005, Brian Wall wrote:
>
>> On 9/29/05, Harv Nelson <harv.nelson at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Not just for kids!  I need one of these in the shack.  So do you
>>>
>>> http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050929/ap_on_hi_te/hundred_dollar_laptop
>>

>> The hand crank adds a nice touch.  In theory, infinite power for
>> remote computing.  I'm skeptical of the price tag.  Even if produced
>> by the millions, I don't see how you can find all the parts and still
>> make a profit at $100 each.
>

> I don't know that it will be possible to get the cost down to $100 per
> laptop, but I think the idea is not to make a profit.  It's a charity.
> They will get about $100 million and make about 1 million laptops and
> they will give them away to poor children.
>
> Mike

The business model used by Freeplay for their wind-up radios seems like
a good fit. They figured they cost around $50 a piece for the units so
they sold them at retail in the UK for $100 and used the profit to
provide free radios to villages in southern Africa. I could see paying
$200 for one of these if I knew that some kid in the developing or third
world got one as well.

But I also question the ability to get the price down to $100.
Supposedly the deal that Apple cut with Samsung for the flash memory in
the Nano was about $40/GB and then there's the cost of the chipsets for
the cell and 802.11b connectivity. Even if they can get a $12 display,
it seems real hard to hit $100 even if you want to build 15M of them.

--rick