When one builds in very high volume, parts costs get super cheap.  I doubt that part cost would be a big deal for this.  This would
not be built from "distributor stock" parts and would use "system on a chip" technology.  I've seen a semiconductor price drop by a
factor of 100 when making a high volume purchase for only a 10,000 unit production.  If under $300 PC costs exist in for-profit
retail distribution, I'd say THAT is a valid indicator for $100 non-profit factory cost being feasible.

Chuck