The "fix" is either a modification to TBird's codebase, or maybe an
extension (hey, that'd be cool!) although I have *no* idea what it would
take to make one that would remove these erroneous tags...is this just a
normal word document, or one from word saved as HTML locally, or what? (I
can try to recreate the situation here, I've got Office 2003, and can get
access to Office XP, 2000, and maybe even 97, so what version(s) are you
using?)

I can't write the code or extension, but I can at least help track it down
:D

Keith Bachman