On Fri, 30 Sep 2005, Josh Paetzel wrote:

> On Friday 30 September 2005 18:29, Mike Miller wrote:
>
>> In tcsh we have 'rehash' to update the hash table of command paths when
>> we've added a new executable in the path.  What do you use for this in
>> the bash shell?
>
> bash doesn't need any such thing.  It "Just Works" (TM)

Ha!  Is that your trademark or Apple's?

Thanks for the info and thanks especially to Dave Carlson.  I now realize
that the reason I wasn't "seeing" a certain file was that it wasn't in my
path!  I am using tcsh on most machines and have my path configured in the
.tcshrc, but on this one machine I'm using bash and I just hadn't fixed
the path.

They really should make tcsh search the path when the file isn't found
instead of forcing the user (who might not know better) to type 'rehash.'
I'm in the process of switching to bash from tcsh.  It seems like a good
plan giving current trends.  I want to teach students in bash instead of
teaching them in tcsh.  I come from a Solaris background and there we used
csh for years (painful years) before discovering the wonders of tcsh.
There are reasons to prefer bash to tcsh (and a few reasons to prefer tcsh
to bash too), but I'm switching mostly because bash is the default in
Linux and in OS X which is positioning it as a likely winner for the next
decade or so.

Mike